blog*spot
get rid of this ad | advertise here

:{ Eve's Handbasket }:

Where am I and why am I in this handbasket? Purpose? "To stimulate any sort of thought in any sort of way about any sort of thing."
:: Welcome, you have found yourself in Eve's Handbasket. If you are confused go back to the Beginning | Contact | Site Feed | Home ::
[:{..linx..}:]
CNN
FOXNews
CBC (Canadian News)
BBC News
AlJazeera
C-Span
LiveLeak
Center for Public Integrity
National Security Archive at GWU
UnderReported.com
Back to Iraq
Baghdad Burning
Tehran Globe
Pravda (Russian News)
Drudge Report
BuzzFlash
World News Network
Air America Radio
Rush Limbaugh
Take Back the Media

:: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 ::

White House: Bush Didn't Know About Port Deal


Ha. You're killin' me. I still hadn't digested what he said yesterday. It's actually reprinted in the above article, nice one Fox. He said...


"I can understand why some in Congress have raised questions about whether or not our country will be less secure as a result of this transaction. But they need to know that our government has looked at this issue, and looked at it carefully." - G.W. Bush 2-21-06


I suppose what he should have said was, "My non-elected appointees made the decision, and Congress just needs to trust them. I say 'them' because I didn't need to know about it either. Our government has it covered."


The guy acts serious. How's he do that?


Anyway, I'm not one for living in fear, especially by choice, so the Arab discussion is not so much an issue for me. There is the obvious discomfort (well voiced by Frank Gaffney on military.com) with the fact that the United Arab Emirates is one of the few countries in the world with real ties to the World Trade Center, among other things, but I personally won't judge a whole people by the noisy fanatics in their midst for I would be righteously pissed if I were judged by Pat Robertson's holy cowardice. With all that comes the fun fact that the recently appointed head of the Department of Transportation's Maritime Administration, David Sanborn, was formerly a senior executive at... Dubai Ports World. Which brings me obliquely to my point of outrage... Democracy, stupid.


The president of the United States actually asserts that Congress (elected officials) should have no right to criticize the decisions of his appointees ("our government"). When he himself (elected official) didn't know about it. It doesn't matter what the decision is, if it was made without the knowledge of the Congress and therefore the People, and they strongly object. There is no issue in a Democracy. Elected representation is the cornerstone of our whole system, imagine that we would see the day that this would become another irrelevancy.


*climbs higher and higher atop the mountain, upon reaching the summit he places one foot atop a small boulder, raises his hand valiantly to the heavens and proclaims... "Republicans and Democrats everywhere... Lay aside your daggers and slip your fetters... Rise up... to become... something... else!"*

:: Damien 2/22/2006 [+] ::
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?